|Available for||User roles||Super Admins|
As your organization's talent acquisition function develops over time, the reasons for which you archive candidates will likely need to evolve accordingly. Lever allows you to customize your archive reasons to reflect changes in your team's recruitment procedures. This article will guide you through the process of adding archive reasons, covering the following topics:
Note that archive reason customization can have far-reaching effects on the data in your Lever environment. We advise that you familiarize yourself with the design and function of the Archive before attempting to make changes. To learn more, check out our help article on the design and function of the Archive. For more information on archive reason customization, refer to the other help articles on this topic:
Rules for adding archive reasons
Given how foundational the archive is to other functions throughout the platform, there are certain actions you cannot take when adding archive reasons. Specifically:
- It is not possible to add an archive reason with the same name as another archive reason, either active or deactivated. This restriction ensures that you have proper quality data in your reporting.
Knowing when to add archive reasons
Before adding an archive reason, ask yourself the following questions:
- Do I intend to apply my new archive reason to all opportunities associated with a currently active archive reason?
- If yes, it would be more efficient to simply rename the existing archive reason rather than adding a new one.
- Am I prepared to audit surveys and automation workflows to incorporate new archive reasons?
- If you wish for a new archive reasons to be referenced in survey delivery criteria as well as automation workflow conditions and actions, these items will need to be manually updated.
In general, new archive reasons should only be added if your talent team has identified a new cause to not move forward with a candidate that they would like to use going forward, and will not necessarily affect opportunities that have already been archived under existing reasons. Below is an example of when it would be appropriate to add an archive reason:
- After reviewing a full year of data, a recruitment team finds that they often archive opportunities because the candidate accepts an offer with another employer. Up to now, the team has been archiving these opportunities as 'Offer declined' and specifying in notes if the candidate declined because they accepted a different offer. The team would like to add an archive reason specifically for candidates that accept offers at other organizations. They will then compare the number of opportunities archived for this reason with the number of opportunities archived as 'Offer declined' to establish a benchmark.
How to add archive reasons
||The addition of archive reasons may affect integrations you have enabled in LeverTRM. As a best practice, review your active integrations for any triggers associated with an archive reason (and make adjustments if necessary) prior to adding an archive reason.|
- Navigate to Settings > Pipeline and archive reasons > Archive reasons. Here you will see a preview of your Archive, as well as the list of active and deactivated archive reasons in your Lever environment.
- Click the Customize archive reasons button to open the archive reason editor. Each archive reason will be represented by a tile, organized in the order that they appear in your archive. Each tile will show a tally of the number of opportunities currently associated with the archive reason.
- Click Add reason in the upper-right corner of the editor.
- Type the name of the archive reason you wish to add. Click the Add archive reason button to proceed.
- The new archive reason tile will appear in the archive reason editor (look for the tile with the 'New archive reason' label). You can move the new archive reason by hovering over the left side of the tile (until two lines of dots appear) and then clicking and dragging it to the desired location.
- If you wish to change the name of the reason you just added, click the archive reason name on the tile to reopen the archive reason edit modal.
- When you are ready to confirm the addition of the new archive reason, click the Next button to the right of the progress bar at the top of the page.
- If you are deactivating archive reasons with associated opportunities as part of this same series of customizations, you will be presented with a summary list of archive reasons to be deactivated and the total number of opportunities associated with each reason that need to be re-associated before the deactivation can be completed. Refer to our article on deactivating archive reasons to learn about best practices and potential impacts of this action. Click the Next button to proceed.
- The final step is to review your slated changes. On the review page, you will find a comparison view of the current and future state of your Archive once your changes are applied. Below this, you will find a table with a detailed summary of all of your slated changes. At the bottom of the review page, you will find a table summarizing the impacts your changes will have on your analytics.
Example of changes to archive reasons summary
Impact of changes to analytics table
- Click the Save button to the right of progress bar to apply your changes. It may take a few moments for the changes to your archive reasons to be applied. You can return to Lever while this process runs in the background. Note, it will not be possible to make further changes to your archive reasons until the initial set of customizations have been applied. When your changes have been applied, a pop-up notification will appear in Lever. Click the button in the pop-up to view the changes in your Settings.
||If you exit the archive reason customization workflow without applying your updates, any changes you have made up to that point will be lost.|