|Available for||User roles||Super Admin, Admin, Team Member, Limited Team Member
Can only be configured by Super Admins
||The HireRight integration requires set up by both the HireRight and Lever teams. If you are interested in using Lever’s integration with HireRight, please reach out to your HireRight account manager in addition to reaching out to Lever Support.|
As an official HireRight partner, Lever makes it easy for you to order any of HireRight’s 200+ global background and drug testing services and receive results in real-time. Streamline the background check process by kicking off HireRight background check packages - without ever leaving Lever! The HireRight background check form is pre-populated with candidate information from Lever Hire reducing redundant data entry and driving administrative efficiency while improving the recruiter and candidate experience. Readers of this article will learn about:
- Enabling the HireRight integration
- Submitting an order
- Checking the status of an order in Lever
- Viewing the status and results of an order in HireRight
- Overriding the default HireRight package
- Revoking access to the HireRight integration
Enabling the HireRight integration
||The HireRight integration can only be enabled by users with Super Admin access in Lever.|
Step 1: Contact HireRight
Setting up the HireRight integration involves a HireRight technical consultant to make sure your HireRight account is configured correctly for the integration. In order to do this, you’ll need to reach out to your HireRight account manager and request the Lever-HireRight integration. After a HireRight technical consultant has been staffed, they will provide you with your HireRight company ID, a user permissions list, and a list of HireRight packages.
Step 2: Activate the integration in Lever
- Navigate to Settings > Integrations and API, scroll to the 'Background and reference checks' section, and click the HireRight toggle
- Click the Send Request to Enable button
- A Lever support representative will automatically be notified of your request and will reach out to request the following information:
- HireRight Company Id: Lever will need the Id of your HireRight parent account. If you have child accounts, we’ll be able to trigger packages from those too!
- Trigger Stage: The stage that automatically triggers the HireRight background check package. If you've provided Lever with a default HireRight package, Lever will automatically run that package when a user on the HireRight user permissions list advances a candidate to the trigger stage. If you have not selected a default package, we will look for a tag that matches the name of one of your HireRight packages.
- Default Package (Optional): The package that you want to run automatically when a candidate is advanced to the trigger stage by a user on the permissions list. If a HireRight package name is specified in a tag on the candidate profile, we will run that specific package instead of the default package.
- Completion Stage (Optional): The stage that you want the candidate to automatically advance to when the HireRight order is complete.
- Authorization: Lever requires permission from a Super Admin on the account to add the appropriate API key and webhook settings in your Lever account - do not delete these, or the integration will stop working!
||If the user that enables the HireRight integration leaves their organization, the organization's new Lever administrator must contact Lever Support to have their list of HireRight users revalidated.|
Submitting an order
Before proceeding, ensure the background check requestor is set up correctly in HireRight using the HireRight User Management job aid pdf attachment found at the bottom of this article. If the requestor is not found or is set up incorrectly in HireRight, a secret error message will appear on the candidate's profile as a note (see image below). The person who triggered the assessment will be mentioned in the note and they will also receive an email with the same note.
To submit an order to HireRight:
- Step 1: Log in to Lever, locate the candidate's opportunity and click to open their profile. To override the default package setup for background checks, select the package in the tags section. of the profile.
- Step 2: Advance the opportunity to Background Check via the stage menu.
- Step 3: Once the opportunity is advanced an email will be sent to the applicant. The applicant can then click the link in the email and input any required information in the online form. The order will be created once the applicant submits the forms. To learn more, refer to HireRight's applicant submission steps.
Checking the status of an order in Lever
Monitor the status of the order in the tags section of the opportunity profile (image 1). Tags will automatically be added to this section to reflect the status of the order in real-time. Refer to the table below for a breakdown of the tags that appear in Lever and which HireRight order status they reflect.
|Lever Tag Name||HireRight Order Status|
|HR - Pending Requestor||Pending Requestor|
|HR - Sent to Applicant||Sent to Applicant|
|HR - Pending Applicant||Pending Applicant|
|HR - eConsent to Applicant||eConsent to Applicant|
|HR - Declined by Applicant||Declined by Applicant|
|HR - In Progress||InProgress|
|HR - Completed||Completed|
Viewing the status and results of an order in HireRight
Once an order is 'In Progress,' click the report link that appears on the candidate profile (image 1). You will be re-directed to HireRight where you will be prompted to log in to view the report.
Here is an example of a report as it appears in HireRight. Click the links below this image to review additional examples of HireRight reports.
- View US Sample Report
- View non-US Sample Report (Version 2)
- View HireRight's guide on Adjudication (applicable if your organization subscribes to HireRight's Adjudication service)
Overriding the default HireRight package
During setup, you have the option to provide a default package to send to all candidates that reach the trigger stage. However, you can also run different packages for different roles and candidates. In order to override the default package (or select a package if you did not provide a default package), simply add a tag with the name of the package to the candidate's profile before advancing them to the trigger stage.
You can also automatically tag candidates on posting-by-posting basis. To learn more, refer to our help article on using tags.
Revoking access to the HireRight integration
Users with Super Admin access in Lever can disable this integration at any time by navigating back to Settings > Integrations and API, opening the HireRight integration tile and clicking the Revoke option beside the key listed at the bottom.
- The new integration will create Success notifications in the notes @ mentioning the user who triggers the assessment for when an Order is successfully created with default or from a tag supplied on the opportunity.
- The new integration will create Error notifications in the notes @ mentioning the user who triggers the assessment for when the integration encounters an error.
- The notes will also contain the adjudication status if available.
- The notes will be created as secret and only with access to view secret notes will be able to see them.
It is required that the recruiting teams use their respective Lever email as the User Ref Id while configuring users in HireRight. While this is the normal setup for most HireRight customers, we have noted that some customers use a unique id that is different from their email. Please let us know if you require support with this step. To learn more, refer to the HireRight User Ref ID setup job aid attached to this article and be sure to contact Lever Support if you require further assistance.