|Available for||User roles||Super Admin, Admin, Team Member, Limited Team Member
Integration can only be enabled and configured by Super Admins
|Packages||All Lever packages
HackerRank 'Interviewer' or 'Recruiter' license required
The ability to send HackerRank Tests in bulk referenced in this article is part of the Winter 2023 Product Release, scheduled for progressive rollout starting in mid-February 2023. For more information on the Winter 2023 release, keep an eye on our Product Release Notes.
HackerRank Tests allows you to assess and capture meaningful information about a candidate's technical skills. This integration allows recruitment teams to seamlessly send out code challenges to candidates prior to a live interview. Once a candidate has completed an assessment, the results automatically populate onto their Lever profile, removing the need for recruiters to switch between applications. Readers of this article will learn about:
- Enabling the HackerRank Tests integration
- Using the HackerRank Tests integration
- Viewing and assessing HackerRank tests
- Frequently asked questions
Before proceeding, note that Lever's integration with HackerRank Tests is only available to users with Interviewer or Recruiter licenses in HackerRank. For more information about this integration, refer to HackerRank's Lever integration help article.
Enabling the HackerRank Tests integration
||The following setup steps can only be completed by a user with Super Admin access in Lever.|
Step 1: Generate an API key in HackerRank
- Log in to HackerRank for Work as a Company Admin user
- On the home page, click the arrow next to the user icon in the top-right corner and select Settings
- Navigate to the 'ATS Integrations' section and click Configure on the Lever tile.
- Click the Generate API Token button and copy the key that is generated. Note that this key is unique and you will not be able to retrieve it again after this stage of the process.
Step 2: Add the API key in Lever
- Navigate to Settings > Integrations and API, scroll to the 'Assessments' section, and click the HackerRank Tests toggle
- Paste the API key into the 'Access token' field and click Verify Connection; the toggle will turn green to indicate the integration has been enabled
Using the HackerRank Tests integration with Lever
Associating HackerRank Tests with Interview Plans
Before sending an assessment to a candidate, navigate to the 'Interview Plan' tab of any individual job posting and select the HackerRank form for the necessary assessment stages. Note that this form is automatically added to your LeverTRM instance when the integration is enabled.
Sending a HackerRank Test to a candidate
To send an assessment to a candidate, move the corresponding opportunity to the stage that is associated with the HackerRank feedback form and click the Send Test button that appears at the top of the candidate profile.
Alternatively, you can send a test to a candidate at any time throughout the interview process by clicking the ellipses button at the top of the candidate profile and selecting Send Test.
Clicking Send Test will open the 'Send test' window where you will be able to:
- Select a specific HackerRank Test to send to the candidate
- Choose which candidate email address to which to send the HackerRank Test
- Optionally, choose to send the candidate an additional email via Lever; the email editor in Lever includes typical email features, including auto-text tokens, templates, and rich text and HTML options
- Indicate if you wish to receive notifications via email and the Lever Inbox when the HackerRank test is completed
Sending HackerRank tests in bulk
You also have the ability to send the test in bulk to multiple candidates. Candidates must be in the stage associated with the HackerRank feedback form.
- From the opportunities list, select the opportunities associated with the candidates to which you wish to send the HackerRank test
- Click the downward point arrow button in the bulk action toolbar and select the Send Test option
A modal will appear, showing you the number of candidates to which the test will be sent. A warning banner will appear to notify you of duplicate candidates among your selection or if any selected candidates have active opportunities elsewhere in the pipeline.
- Verify that HackerRank is the selected service and choose the test you wish to send
- Click Send test
Viewing and assessing HackerRank tests
Once an assessment has been sent, you can view the pending HackerRank Test within the candidate's profile. Clicking the Reminder button will open the email workflow in Lever.
After the candidate completes the assessment, Lever will create a story on their candidate profile that will include the following information:
- Candidate feedback
- Plagiarism check
- Total time taken
- Time candidate started test
- Link to full report
- Name of specific HackerRank test completed
The overall score field will be calculated automatically by Lever (visible in the upper-left of the above image). Those with Super Admins and Admin level access in Lever can edit the overall score by clicking on the Edit button to the right of the feedback form. Team Members and Limited Team Members do not have the ability to edit the score of a HackerRank Test.
How Lever calculates the assessment score
To calculate the score, Lever first divides the candidate's score by the maximum score possible for the assessment:
(candidate’s score) ÷ (max possible score for the assessment)
Lever will then assign a score of 1 to 4, based on the following percentage scale:
- 0.00 - 0.24 = score of 1
- 0.24 - 0.49 = score of 2
- 0.50 - 0.74 = score of 3
- 0.75 - 1.00 = score of 4
Consider an assessment on which a candidate scores 98 points against a maximum of 120 points, resulting in a 0.82 percentage as follows: 98 ÷ 120 = 0.82
Given that 0.82 falls between the range of 0.75 and 1.00, Lever would assign a score of 4 on the feedback form for this assessment.
Viewing the full HackerRank Test assessment report
Once a candidate has completed their HackerRank Test assessment, a link to the full report (which will open in HackerRank for Work) will be included in the story that is added to their candidate profile in Lever (see image above). Followers of the candidate in Lever will receive an email notification as well as a notification in their Lever inbox, if configured as such when the assessment was sent.
||Users must log into HackerRank for Work before clicking the report link in Lever in order to view it. Issues with the HackerRank report link should be directed to HackerRank Support for the fastest resolution.|
Frequently asked questions
When sending a HackerRank test to a candidate via Lever, scroll to the bottom of the test selection menu and click the Refresh Tests option.